The launch of the second year of annual entrepreneurial competition ‘Jump Start 2011’ from The LINC and AIB. Jump Start 2011 is open to entrepreneurs who would like to base their business in an innovative and supportive environment. The value of this award is over €25,000 which includes the cost of the incubation space for twelve months, the varied and fantastic mentoring support available to the Company from industry experts and also €2,000 in cash for the winning company to spend as they see fit.
Launched at the dylan Hotel by one of the Ireland’s best known entrepreneurs Gavin Duffy, this competition will witness Irish entrepreneurs being given a unique opportunity to win a very real JUMP START to their business. Judge, Gavin Duffy said of the competition, “I am delighted to be involved in Jump Start 2011 as I think everyone needs a helping hand and the mentoring will be invaluable, it is really vital in this current climate”.
Judged by a panel of their peers, the Jump Start 2011 shortlisted entrants will get the unique opportunity to present their ideas to the Dragon Den’s Gavin Duffy, Lucia O’Riordan, Regional Retail & SME Manager, AIB, yourlocal.ie Managing Director, Emer Jameson, Silicon Republic Editor John Kennedy and 2010 Jump Start winner John Hughes of Innovation Zed said of their win last year, “Winning the LINC Jump Start 2010 competition was a great boost for InsulCheck, our start-up business. We got access to elite office accommodation and the professional mentoring we received in marketing and business development helped shape our go-to-market plan. Of particular significance was the access we got to the excellent research and design expertise within the College. We were able to use that to perfect our product offering prior to launch.”
The prize for winner of Jump Start 2011 includes;
- A cash prize of €2,000
- An incubation space of 23sqm for twelve months
- Included in this space will be desks and chairs for two people
- Electricity and heating bills
- Free wireless access within the building and their office
- Free use of the boardroom with teas and coffees for four meetings during the year
- Dedicated mentoring from a panel of key mentors sponsored by the LINC at ITB, AIB and FINGAL County Enterprise Board in the areas of:
- Digital Marketing
- Market Research
- Business Strategy
- Finance and Funding
- Intellectual property
- Automatic entry to the M50 Enterprise Platform Program
- Meeting with Enterprise Ireland to identify options for Enterprise Ireland support
The successful company will also have access to:
- A structured approach to the development of their business through the “Create, Learn,” programme
- Mentoring on key aspects of business development
- Industry specific seminars to support innovation and development for the companies
- Access to the academic expertise of the Institute
- A cohort of students for placements and possible recruitment
- Access to the facilities in the building including meeting rooms, training rooms and computer labs.
Fergus Hopper, Regional Director, Dublin North & West said of being involved with Jump Start 2010 “AIB Blanchardstown are delighted to be supporting Jumpstart 2010, it gives us an opportunity to demonstrate our commitment and support for the SME sector and specifically early stage businesses. I think it’s very important to give start ups every chance to succeed and Jumpstart is an excellent way of doing that.”
Assumpta Harvey, Manager, the LINC, Institute of Technology Blanchardstown said of the competition “We are delighted to launch Jump Start for a second year especially after the huge success of the competition in 2010. Our winner will be a high technology based businesses or a scalable product based business run by promoters with huge amounts of energy, passion and commercial drive. All of us at the LINC look forward to rewarding our winner with a suite of facilities and support which will help drive their business towards commercial success at a rapid pace.”
Interest applicants must meet set criteria;
- The business must be technology or knowledge based – competitive advantage could be due to the existence of intellectual property.
- There is an intent to export if they are not already exporting
- The business plan includes substantial growth strengthening the economic impact of the business within the region
- The applicant must be in business for less than two years
Application forms can be downloaded from www.thelinc.ie/jumpstart with a closing date for applications of 12 noon July 5th with the short list being announced on July 13th. All applicants must submit a fully complete application form and agree to the terms and conditions terms and of the LINC and declare that all information submitted is correct and true. Applications should be through www.thelinc.ie/jumpstart.
The winner of the award will be announced the evening of the final judging. 28th July 2011.
Jump Start 2010 is proudly supported by The LINC, AIB, Fingal County Enterprise Board.