Tuesday 11th September 2012 saw the launch of the third year of the LINC’s (Learning and Innovation Centre) at the Institute of Technology Blanchardstown (ITB) annual entrepreneurial competition ‘Jump Start 2012’. Jump Start 2012 is open to entrepreneurs who would like to base their business in an innovative and supportive environment. The value of this award is €25,000 which includes €5,000 in cash for the winning company plus the cost of the incubation space for twelve months, the varied and fantastic mentoring support available to the Company from industry experts and a range of useful business start up packages design, media, technology equipment, print, call answering and much more.
Launched at the dylan Hotel today by one of the Ireland’s best known and liked entrepreneurs and Dragon Bobby Kerr, this competition will give Irish entrepreneurs a unique opportunity to win a very real JUMP START to their business.
Judge, Bobby Kerr said of the competition, “I am delighted to be involved with the JumpStart Competition again. I see the competition as a great way for entrepreneurs to present to their peers and have the opportunity of winning an amazing prize that any start up would love to receive especially in the current climate”.
The Jump Start 2012 shortlisted entrants will get the unique opportunity to present their ideas to a very experienced panel including Bobby Kerr, Judith Troy, Regional Manager AIB, Oisin Geoghegan, CEO Fingal County Enterprise Board and George Kiely Regional Director Enterprise Ireland and chaired by Assumpta Harvey, Manager The LINC, ITB
2011 Jump Start winner Philip Gillen of Safefood 360 said of his win last year, “.Every business founder needs a good grilling and to be taken down a peg or two by a panel of seasoned investors. This is simply a necessary part of growing your business and preparing you for serious fundraising. Aside from the valuable experience gained in this regard, winning Jump Start 2011 provided a tremendous morale, financial and practical boost at a time when we needed it the most. The prize consisted of office space, mentoring, PR in local and national press, cash and even a superb trophy! What more could you ask for from a business start-up competition?”
The prize for the winning company will include:
- A seed capital prize of €5,000
- An incubation space of 23sqm for twelve months
- Included in this space will be desks and chairs for two people
- Electricity and heating bills
- Free wireless access within the building and their office
- Free use of the boardroom with teas and coffees for four meetings during the year
- Dedicated mentoring from a panel of key mentors sponsored by the LINC at ITB, AIB and FINGAL County Enterprise Board in the areas of:
- Digital Marketing
- Market Research
- Business Strategy
- Finance and Funding
- Grafton Media social media business start-up package worth €4,000 which will include Branding; design of new stationery, brochure website, etc.
- SNAP Blanchardstown business start-up package worth €1,500
- Kendlebell Call Answering Service worth €1,500
- HP Officejet Pro 8600 e-All-in One Printer & the HP Pavilion G6-2151sa Notebook PC worth €1,000
- Meeting with Enterprise Ireland to identify options for Enterprise Ireland support
The successful company will also have access to:
- A structured approach to the development of their business through the “Create, Learn,” programme
- Mentoring on key aspects of business development
- Industry specific seminars to support innovation and development for the companies
- Access to the academic expertise of the Institute
- A cohort of students for placements and possible recruitment
- Access to the facilities in the building including meeting rooms, training rooms and computer labs.
Assumpta Harvey, Manager, the LINC, Institute of Technology Blanchardstown said of the competition “The LINC are delighted to launch Jump Start 2012. We are now looking for Ireland’s next big tech start-up. Winners of 2011 Safefood 360 have expanded their business into the US where 75% of their customer base is located. Winners of 2010 Innovation Zed recently won the Biomnis Health Innovation Award and recently won €350,000 in funding to invest in it’s international growth strategy. Here at the LINC, we look forward to working with 2012 winner as they drive their business towards commercial success.”
Interested applicants must meet set criteria;
- The business must be technology or knowledge based – competitive advantage could be due to the existence of intellectual property.
- There is an intent to export if they are not already exporting
- The business plan includes substantial growth strengthening the economic impact of the business within the region
- The applicant must be in business for less than two years
Application forms can be downloaded from www.thelinc.ie/jumpstart with a closing date for applications of close at 4pm on Friday 19th of October with the short list being announced on November 2nd. All applicants must submit a fully complete application form and agree to the terms and conditions terms and of the LINC and declare that all information submitted is correct and true. Applications should be through www.thelinc.ie/jumpstart.
The winner of the award will be announced the evening of the final judging on the 15th November 2012.
Jump Start 2012 is proudly supported by The LINC, AIB, Fingal County Enterprise Board, Grafton Media, Snap Blanchardstown, Kendlebell, HP and Enterprise Ireland .