Networking events are a wonderful opportunity to engage with the Business community. However, for most introverts it is a necessary evil and not the easiest thing to do.
So, how do you overcome the internal “fear” if you are terribly shy, or, just how to network properly?
Here are 6 things to consider as a starting point. Networking doesn’t have to be hard.
- Set a goal – What do you want to achieve from attending the event? Be mindful of why you are there.
- Show up – People engagement is key.
- Do the people you meet have the means to connect? – Have professional business cards.
- Be prepared to talk about your Business – prepare a piece in advance so that you are always ready to talk about what it is your Business is.
- Get into actual conversations – related to your business or not, share thoughts and insights on relevant topics. Be subtle, know the when the time is right to plug your Business.
- Follow up – connect with key contacts (keep in mind your goal) straight away while the event, and your discussion during the event, can still be easily recalled.